Prime Farm is located at the end of an adopted no-through lane in a tranquil rural setting between the villages of Whitchurch Canonicorum and Marshwood. Whitchurch Canonicorum is so named because in medieval times it was divided between the Canons of Salisbury in Wiltshire and Wells in Somerset and has an historic village church dedicated to Saint Wite dating back to the Norman period. There is a thriving community within the village including the Five Bells public house and a village hall (formerly the village school). The immediate locality is designated as an Area of Outstanding Beauty. There is easy access to the surrounding countryside, the beautiful Jurassic Coast (UNESCO World Heritage Site) and The National Trust s Golden Cap Estate.
The coastal village of Charmouth is close by with a range of everyday shops and facilities with a blue flag bathing beach. Nearby Morcombelake also has a post
office/shop, Moore s famous Dorset Knob factory and a large farm shop and delicatessen. The thriving town of Bridport with its renowned street market on Wednesdays and Saturdays is only 6.8 miles away and the coastal resort of Lyme Regis 6.7 miles. The market town of Axminster with its prize-winning street market on Thursdays and mainline rail service to London Waterloo is only 8.8 miles.
There is fishing, sailing and boating in Lyme Bay and 18-hole golf courses at Lyme Regis and Bridport.
The lease document for the Manor of Marshwood,
September 1816, describes Prime Farmhouse as 'The
Manor House'. This possibly explains the use of the word 'Prime' in connection with the property. A new manor house was built in 1853 on the outskirts of Bettiscombe village.
Prime Farm used to house the 'Court Leet', which
descended from the Anglo-Saxon 'hundred' meetings
of tribal elders that used to sort out community affairs and reconcile grievances.
The roof was originally thatched, but due to a fire
in the 19th century, was replaced with slates. Until 1981 and the start of the current ownership it remained a working farm.
One of the outbuildings was formerly a thatched two storey brick and stone dwelling known as 'Prime Cottage providing secondary accommodation for a farm worker and his family. In 1952 or thereabouts it was converted into a stable and hay loft, and more recently used as a store and workshop with electricity supply.
Prime Farm lies at the end of Prime Lane, an adopted road maintained at public expense. The lane is gated close to the farmhouse, discouraging casual visitors from turning vehicles at the end of Prime Lane. Prime Farm is a charming detached period farmhouse with brick
and stone elevations under a slate roof. It is listed
Grade II of Architectural or Historic Importance. The property has undergone considerable refurbishment by
the present owner, although further work remains to be done. There is the benefit of bespoke solid oak windows.
The accommodation is generous and offers many
character features including exposed beams, an inglenook fireplace, flagstone floors, exposed floor boards
and original farmhouse doors. There are lovely views over Prime Coppices (40 acres of ancient oak woodland), the surrounding countryside and the hills around the Marshwood Vale topped by four iron age hill forts.
The detached brick and stone store (formerly known as Prime Cottage ) offers excellent potential for residential
conversion as an annexe, workplace/studio or holiday
let, subject to the necessary planning consents.
There is also a large dilapidated detached stone barn which could also be repaired with the potential to provide garaging and further accommodation if so required. LPG, electricity, water and drainage are already connected.
Prime Farm benefits from extensive gardens and
GARDENS AND GROUNDS
The gated driveway sweeps up to the front of the house
to a parking area. The main gardens lie to the front and rear of the property with large expanses of lawn interspersed with a variety of flowering cherries and other specimen trees. There is a productive kitchen garden, two greenhouses and a cold frame.
There is a large field of about 6 acres, plus three
smaller paddocks which have been managed as wild flower meadows since 1981. All four have drinking troughs. The land is ring fenced. Prime Farm supports a wide variety of wildlife, including orchids and other rare plants and protected animals. More than 600 species of animals and plants have been recorded to date.