A substantial and historic former vicarage with an adjoining beautifully renovated cottage, standing in large grounds within ½ mile of the cliffs and sea, situated adjoining farmland on the edge of the village.
The property comprises a former vicarage, an adjoining cottage and a range of outbuildings including a gatehouse, dovecot and stone barn.
The Vicarage dates from the early 1800s and is a substantial two-storey house of traditional appearance, built mainly of stone under a slate roof. During the mid-19th century it was nearly doubled in size with the addition of a rear wing and now contains large well-proportioned rooms with large windows and high ceilings. Its evolution over two hundred years has resulted in a slightly eccentric but very charming arrangement. Sympathetic restoration and modernisation would return it to its former glory as a spacious family home in a delightful setting.
Fontrevault Cottage is thought to have been built in the early 1600s as the parsonage house and its great age is evidenced by the superb stone-mullioned windows. Comprehensively renovated by the current owners, this provides an ideal holiday cottage or guest accommodation.
The entrance to the property is most romantic, through a gated arch into an old gatehouse. A pair of large inner doors lead on into the Vicarage grounds which contain a Medieval Dovecot, delightful gardens and an area of woodland. On the other side of Vicarage Hill there is a further area of woodland containing a stone barn.
The Vicarage and Gatehouse are Grade II listed whilst the Dovecot is Grade II* and scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
The property lies on the outskirts of Tintagel, adjoining farmland and in a small valley which separates the village from the church near Glebe Cliff. Tintagel contains a good range of facilities with numerous shops, restaurants and a doctors' surgery. A wider range of amenities will be found at the town of Camelford, approximately six miles to the south east.
The coastline here is most beautiful, with rugged cliffs and headlands and the sea turquoise green in colour caused by elements of copper in the rocks. There is a choice of beaches ranging from the small coves at Benoath and Bossiney, to a larger beach at Trebarwith Strand, all within a short drive or accessible on foot via the coastal footpath.
The gatehouse dates from the 15th century and contains a small chapel, created in 1925. Some believe the building originated as a cell under the control of Abbess of Fontrevault, others that it is the original one-room parsonage house; English Heritage considers it to have been an old coach house.
Fontrevault Cottage was the vicarage before being part demolished to make way for a large wing extension, the new vicarage.
Of great interest is the dovecot which is Medieval, listed Grade II*, scheduled as an Ancient Monument and which the eminent historian Henderson considered to be 13th century. Known as Culver Houses in Cornwall, dovecots were introduced by the Normans who restricted the right to erect them to lords of the manors, abbots and other ecclesiastics. They were a valuable source of fresh meat during the winter and early spring months at a time when nearly all stock was slaughtered due to a lack of winter feed.
The Rev Sweetser, who was Vicar from 1668 to1684, left a description of the property including mention of a hall, a parlour paved with slate, five chambers and a study. A series of outbuildings are mentioned and an orchard containing around twenty rods of ground sloping down to the river.
Maclean in his work "The Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor" of 1879 wrote: "The building is situate in the valley between the village of Trevena and the church and is to a considerable extent shut off from the public road by a lofty medieval wall, through which by a large gateway under a four-centred arch you enter a pleasant, well sheltered garden or pleasure ground in which there is an ancient Columbarium. There is a tradition that this was formerly the site of a religious house but for this tradition there is, we think, no other foundation than it is not unlikely that the monk who was detached from the Abbey of Fontrevault to take charge of the parish before the assignment of The Vicarage in 1266 had his cell here, which afterwards became The Vicarage".
The Parsonage House dates from the early 19th century with a substantial extension added around 50 years later. It is built mainly of stone under a slate roof and at one time had a lean-to conservatory on the south east wall.
On the Ground Floor
The entrance porch leads to a study, sitting room and dining room. The Study has a large bay window and a glazed door to a small courtyard and site of former conservatory. The Dining Room has a glazed door to gardens with shutters, a slate fireplace surround and large double doors to the Sitting Room which features a large bay window, window seat, attractive fireplace surround and a stone mullioned window.
The original kitchen is now used as a utility room with a small range of older cupboards and plenty of space for a washing machine, tumble dryer etc.On the First Floor one of the bedrooms has been converted to create a first floor kitchen. There is a range of cabinets to two walls and an attractive period fireplace.
There are three large bedrooms remaining, each with various views over the gardens. There is a family bathroom with a box room or storage room housing the hot water tank.
Originating as The Vicarage and built of stone under a slate roof, Fontrevault Cottage has some very fine stone mullioned windows. The accommodation has been substantially remodelled and now comprises a sitting room with a slate flag floor and featured fireplace. The kitchen has a range of attractive cabinets with a Corian countertop, a double oven range, and a continuation of the flagstone floor. There is sufficient room for a table and chairs, and adjoining the kitchen is a breakfast room or snug with exposed stone walls and a hardwood floor. There is a modern shower room to the rear of the cottage, whilst upstairs there is a modern family bathroom, separate w.c. and 3 bedrooms.
The renovation of the cottage was comprehensive and has created a very high quality holiday let allowing a good return. It may also serve as useful accommodation during any renovation of the vicarage itself.
THE GATE HOUSE
The Gate House is thought to date from the 1400s and provides a unique and very private entrance from the road. Large double doors lead into a central room with slate flag floor and a further large pair of double doors leading on into the vicarage grounds. To one side there is a store and to the other a chapelwith part slate flag floor and stone mullion window. The chapel was created in 1925 by the conversion of a former Coach House and is dedicated to our Lady of Fontrevault.
There are large gardens attached to the property extending in all to approximately 3.4 acres (including the parcel of land on the opposite side of the lane). To the south-west of the Vicarage these are lawned with mature shrubberies and trees including a majestic sycamore near the dovecot. The Dovecot is Medieval and it is thought it may date from the 1200s. Built of stone to a circular design it has a domed and vaulted roof. There is an access hole at the top which admitted pigeons and inside there are 247 rectangular nesting holes arranged in 13 tiers. To the south there is woodland with a stream on the boundary. Fontrevault Cottage has its own garden area to either side of the stream. Surrounding the barn there is further woodland.
To the south east, there is an old carriage drive to The Vicarage which enables the property to be approached without the need to drive into the town. The current owners have erected a car port and integral workshop at the end of the lane nearest the Vicarage.
There is an outbuilding to the north west of the vicarage on the other side of Vicarage Hill 6.64 x 3.78 (21'9" x 12'5") built of stone under a slate roof.
Tenure: The property is held freehold.
Covenants: The property has a number of restrictive covenants affecting the property; further details are available from the agents
The cottage has a ground source heat pump. The house is heated with electricity. The property is connected to mains water and drainage.
To find out more about this property and its location please contact our Truro office
"An opportunity not to be missed, contact us for further information"