Originally a mill house, the building dates back at least to 1564 when it appears on a map in the British Museum. It is Listed Grade II and it is believed that the property was substantially altered in 1702 by the prosperous Stone family who were both millers and farmers. Since acquisition in 2011 the present owners have re-fitted the bathrooms and kitchen, installed new central heating pipes and radiators and obtained planning consent for the conversion of the garage, integrating it into the accommodation to form a kitchen breakfast room and laundry with some reconfiguration to the remaining accommodation on the ground floor as well as re-modelling the first floor. The building has natural stone elevations with some stone mullion windows under slate roofs. The interior contains many handsome period features associated with houses of this period. These include a heavily beamed ceiling in the living/dining room, flagstone flooring, exposed stonework, two staircases one of 18th Century construction with a handsome balustrade and the other an older newel style, and a particularly impressive inglenook fireplace with bread oven and walk through connecting the living/dining room with the family room. The accommodation is well laid out for family living with a large living dining room in the heart of the house with a good sized and well fitted kitchen/breakfast room to one side with a small study off, and the family room on the other. The first floor is approached by the two staircases and comprises four good sized bedrooms and two recently re-fitted bathrooms. There is a wood burning stove in the kitchen/breakfast room and a large inglenook in the living/dining room and the house has oil fired central heating.
The house is approached via a five bar gate opening to a tarmac driveway which opens out into a large parking area to the front of the house providing ample parking for cars, caravans, boats or motor homes. The gardens lie predominantly to the front of the house and are laid to broad sweeps of lawn inset with mature trees and running down to the River Wriggle. To one side of the driveway is a brick and stone outbuilding presently used as a workshop and storage facility. There is planning consent to convert this building to a studio with kitchenette, shower room and living room/bedroom which would make superb guest accommodation, space for a dependent relative or perhaps for teenage children. The paddock lies to the rear of the outbuilding and also runs down to the River Wriggle. The property is fenced on all sides by post and wire fencing and extends to approximately 1½ acres.
To find out more about this property and its location please contact our Sherborne office
"An opportunity not to be missed, contact us for further information"