Simply fill in the form or call our team on one of the numbers below.
To arrange a viewing, please complete this short form and a member of our our team will be in contact with you shortly.
A fantastic opportunity to convert these Grade II listed buildings back into 4 houses/cottages, which are very conveniently situated in the heart of the town between Sackville College and St. Swithuns Church with the medieval High Street just around the corner.
The development involves converting these offices into:
A five bedroom attached house with 3 reception rooms, kitchen, 5 bedrooms, 3 bath/shower rooms and a cellar. Outside there is a garden, parking area, garage and a granary.
A two bedroom terraced cottage with reception room, kitchen/dining, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, loft room and cellar. Outside there is a garden.
A two bedroom terraced cottage with reception room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, dressing room and bathroom. Outside there is a garden.
A two bedroom terraced cottage with 3 reception rooms, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, 2 bath/shower rooms and cellar. Outside there is a garden and the old schoolroom.
The main house was built in 1763 as confirmed by the date stone in the rear wall of the building inscribed Richard and Jane Austen 1763. It remained in residential occupation until 1856 when John Mason Neale took a lease of the premises to house the Sisters of the Society of St Margaret which he had founded.
The sisters remained in the house for only two years before the landlord, who was a non-conformist dissenter evicted them because he objected to their Anglo-Catholic views and practices. While they were in occupation the sisters installed to the rear of the property a corrugated iron prefabricated building as a schoolroom.
The three cottages date back to 1599 when they were used as almshouses. They were burnt down and replaced in around 1720 and used as residential accommodation.
The main house was purchased by Wm Pearless and Sons in 1886 and has been used as solicitors offices since. The cottages were acquired in the mid-fifties and the whole was converted into a single office in the late 1960's.
At the back of each property will be gardens, where there is a store room, the 2 storey granary and the old schoolroom. There is a public car park at the end of Church Lane.
Planning was granted by Mid Sussex District Council on 3 June 2016. Application number DM/15/2818.
East Grinstead has much to offer, with a wide range of stores and supermarkets. The nearby village of Forest Row also has much to offer with towns of Crawley and Tunbridge Wells also within easy reach. There are excellent State and Private schools close by. East Grinstead has a number of clubs including rugby, hockey, cricket, netball, tennis and football. Golf is available at Chartham Park, Royal Ashdown and Holtye. Ashdown Forest and Lingfield Racecourse are also nearby.
There is a mainline railway station at East Grinstead, providing services to London Bridge/Victoria. The A22 also connects directly to the M25. The M23 is about 7 miles providing good access to London, Brighton and Gatwick.
From our office in the town head east for about 20 metres and Church Lane will be found on the left.
Local Authorities and Services
Mid Sussex District Council 01444 458166. West Sussex County Council 01243 777100. All main services.
To find out more about this property and its location please contact our East Grinstead office
"A fantastic opportunity to convert these Grade II listed buildings back into 4 houses/cottages, which are conveniently situated in the town between Sackville College and St. Swithuns Church"