Birthplace of Thomas Gainsborough, Sudbury is a popular and thriving Suffolk Wool Town centred around the market square and dating back to Saxon times with a heritage in the weaving and silk industries.
Set in The Stour Valley at the heart of East Anglia and declared by Rightmove as Britain’s ‘Top Property Hot Spot’, Sudbury continues to surprise today with its ancient and modern mix of traditionally built properties and fine churches.
The town boasts a twice weekly market, monthly farmers’ market, supermarkets, shops and excellent medical facilities. Sudbury also provides excellent recreational facilities with many clubs and associations, including rugby, football, cricket, tennis, hockey, bowls and rowing. There is a also a theatre and a modern swimming pool/leisure complex. The town railway station provides a branch link to the main London and Colchester line, with fast services on to Liverpool Street and there are good bus and road connections to the surrounding area, towards the A12, M11 and Stansted Airport.
The surrounding Stour Valley countryside, immortalised by Gainsborough and Constable, is absolutely delightful - gently sloping, quintessential rural Suffolk. Country walks and numerous country pursuits are literally on your doorstep.
- Gainsborough’s House - The museum and art gallery at the birthplace of Thomas Gainsborough.
- Melford Hall – A C16 Stately Home (National Trust)
- Flatford Mill - a Grade I listed watermill on the River Stour. The mill was owned by the artist John Constable's father and is noted, along with its immediate surroundings as the location for many of Constable's works.
- Lavenham - noted for its Guildhall, Little Hall, 15th-century church, half-timbered medieval cottages and circular walks.
- Dedham Vale - a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, part of the area known as Constable Country
Live in Sudbury
3 bedroom house for sale in Stour Street, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10
Guide price £750,000
3 bedroom flat/apartment for sale in Bakers Court, Great Cornard, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10
Guide price £425,000
4 bedroom house for sale in Upper Tye, Cornard Tye, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10
Guide price £700,000