- Private Parking
- View EPC Rating
A QUITE SUPERBLY POSITIONED PROPERTY WITH ENORMOUS DEVELOPMENT POTENTIAL IN A GLORIOUS ELEVATED POSITION ON THE EDGE OF THE HOWARDIAN HILLS AONB WITH COMMANDING SOUTHERLY VIEWS
The property is being offered for sale as a whole or in two lots as follows:-
Lot One: Hill Top Farm to include the house, gardens and grounds and an adjoining 9.75 acre enclosure. In all about 10.25 acres. Region £850,000
Lot Two: The Farmstead a substantial adjacent farmstead with tremendous development potential (subject to obtaining planning and other necessary consents). Region £400,000
The Whole Region £1.25 million
Sproxton is an attractive rural village situated in a wonderful elevated position on the northern edge of the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and lies just a short distance south of the renowned Georgian market town of Helmsley where a wide variety of facilities is available. Close by to the south west lies the village of Ampleforth, home to the renowned public school of Ampleforth College where there is a sports centre offering a wide variety of activities to the general public. In addition, the well regarded co-educational preparatory school of Terrington Hall lies a few miles away to the south.
There are many natural attractions in the area to include the Hambleton Hills, the Howardian Hills and the North York Moors National Park which offers many miles of hill walking and outstanding scenery to enjoy.
As the name suggests, Hill Top Farm is situated in a superb elevated position on the western edge of the village and from where there are commanding panoramic views. The principal lot comprises the house, surrounding garden and an adjoining enclosure to the south extending to approximately 9.75 acres thereby making the property eminently suitable for those wishing to keep horses, ponies or some other form of grazing livestock.
Lot One Hill Top Farm (About 10.25 acres)
Dating it is believed, from around 1920 and constructed of attractive stone elevations under a pantile roof with dressed stone window sills, lintels and a first floor string course, Hill Top Farm is a most attractive property built in the vernacular style and formerly comprised part of the nearby Duncombe Park Estate. The property was in the occupation of the present owners family as tenants since 1930, before being acquired by them in 1980 and has therefore, remained in continuous occupation by the same family for over 90 years. The Entrance Hall provides direct access to both principal reception rooms which are arranged to the front of the house so as to take full advantage of the extensive southerly views. A rear Hall gives access to an Office and WC whilst adjacent is a Kitchen with worksurfaces, base cupboards, wall cupboards and a chimney breast housing a Rayburn Royal 2-oven oil fired stove. To the first floor is a Galleried Landing, 4 bedrooms, Shower Room and separate WC.
The property is approached across a cattle grid flanked by Hornbeam and Portugal Laurel from where the driveway leads to a turning circle arranged around a central bed containing Heathers and a Weeping Cherry.
The northern boundary is marked by a specimen Oak and two Cypress trees whilst adjoining a small grassed area is a substantial Forsythia hedge and a wonderful Flowering Cherry. Forming the northern boundary adjoining the village street which lies at a lower level, is a substantial Hornbeam hedge which affords a deal of privacy for the property and completing the picture is a specimen Acer.
A level lawn lies immediately to the front of the house and is bounded on its southern edge by a good Hornbeam hedge and to the western edge of this part of the garden are two specimen Beech and a Holly. To the western side of the house is a further good sized lawn where there is a most attractive Acer, whilst adjoining the western elevation of the house is a Honeysuckle.
Lot Two The Farmstead (About 1.00 acre)
To the west of the house and garden is a substantial farmstead which enjoys separate vehicular access and offers tremendous scope for development (subject to obtaining necessary planning and other consents). The farmstead is based upon two traditional stone barns arranged to either side of a central yard and which over the years have been supplemented by a number of modern portal framed farm buildings. They may be summarised as follows (all measurements are external and approximate only) :-
1. West Barn (474 x 184) Stone and pantile former granary.
2. East Barn comprising:
Stone former Shippon with loft over (377 x 1910)
Stone single storey former Dairy (173 x 1910)
3. Attached Stable and Store (169 x 1910) Stone and pantile construction
4. 4-bay General Purpose Building adjoining East Barn (636 x 323) plus 299 wide lean-to with profiled steel cladding.
5. 3-bay General Purpose Building adjoining East Barn (464 x 393)
6. 5-bay Potato Store (810 x 403)
Steel portal framed building with concrete floor and concrete and timber sleeper walls.
IN ALL ABOUT 11.25 ACRES
Strictly by appointment through the sole agents, Messrs Humberts York office, telephone (01904) 611828.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Given the potential hazards of a working farm, we would ask interested parties to be as vigilant as possible when making their inspection for their own personal safety. This is particularly relevant around the farm buildings. Viewers are requested especially to keep away from any farm machinery and not to climb on any of the structures or buildings.
NOTE: It should be specifically noted that one of the traditional buildings (West Barn) is in an extremely poor state of repair and should not be entered under any circumstances.