Guide price £1,250,000
The major portion of a magnificent former Vicarage set within beautifully established gardens and grounds on the village edge
- Swimming Pool
- Semi Detached
- View EPC Rating
The major portion of a magnificent former Vicarage set within beautifully established gardens and grounds on the village edge.
East Grange comprises the major portion of an exceptionally handsome former Vicarage which sits in a splendid, private setting offering a great deal of seclusion and quietude. It is adorned by a wisteria and a mature magnolia and sits prominently within the grounds, taking full advantage of the picturesque views and vistas.
The property has origins dating back to the mid-1800s and was used as the Vicarage and Chapel for about a century, before being divided and sold in 1955. During its early life it had a rich and fascinating history and was a key part of the social scene within West Hill for many years, and more latterly, a family home for the past 40 years.
The house itself is of real architectural merit and is constructed of mellow brick and hung tile, with stone quoins and window surrounds, under a steeply pitched tiled roof. The front façade is beautifully proportioned and has several striking features including the former Chapel with its fanlight, cross finial and circular turret with leaded roof, bays, and impressive chimney stacks.
The rooms, as one would expect, are of elegant proportions and quality craftmanship, retaining a wealth of character features such as the carpentry to the reception room bays, many period fireplaces, cornicing, picture rails etc. All the principal rooms take advantage of the views over the gardens and grounds and are particularly light with large windows and high ceilings.
Gardens & Grounds.
Undoubtedly one of East Granges main features is its glorious setting which is very well established, offering great privacy, perfect for those with a love of flora and fauna. The house is approached over a long sweeping driveway which meanders through the grounds, passing the house and on to a turning and parking area. Adjacent to this is a double carport with an implement store which has side access for machinery.
To the front of the house is a large, easterly facing paved terrace which affords glorious views over the lawns which are bounded and interspersed with profusely stocked beds and mature shrubs and trees. To the south is more wild area for flowers, with steps to the driveway and a pathway which leads back to the lower lawn where there is a very impressive view back to the house. At a raised level is an outdoor pool and The Hut, a detached brick-built studio/office with stable door, power and phone line.
Further to the north is the orchard (previously a kitchen garden) which has a variety of apple and plum trees, greenhouse and potting shed. This leads through to a secluded winter garden with wendy house and composting area. In total the gardens and grounds extend to about 1.44 acres.
The house was the original vicarage of West Hill built in 1850 and designed by Revd. George Buchanan Wollaston (1814-1899), architect (and at one-time articled to Auguste-Charles Pugin). He was also a botanist, a plant collector, an accomplished water colourist and the nephew of Sir James Taylor Coleridge. Wollaston also designed the Church of St.Michael the Archangel, at West Hill in the Early English style. It was consecrated on 28th September,1846.
The land on which the house was built was donated by Sir John Kennaway and the building itself paid for by the generosity of Sir John Taylor Coleridge as was the Church of St. Michael. The living for the clergy who lived at the vicarage was provided by the Church Commissioners from the Bounty of Queen Anne (1704) to augment the incomes of the poorer clergy of the Church of England.
This information is taken from Short Notes of the Church and Parish of Ottery St. Mary, compiled by Rev. Sidney W. Cornish, D.D. Vicar of Ottery St. Mary (1841-1874).